It’s that time again! The Choices/TeenBeing team has rounded up our picks for the best of this week’s web.
1. These crowdsourced school lunch photos (kids can share and vote on which meals they would “eat” or “toss” via social media) show the TRUE state of school lunch in the U.S.A.
2. Armand Fernandez-Pierre is a high school senior and defensive lineman that is shattering stereotypes at his high school in Texas by taking off his football pads at halftime and putting on his cheerleading uniform. He is also involved with the school choir, works at Best Buy on the Geek Squad, participates in theater, and plays lacrosse—just try and put a label on him!
3. A new study that says teens are getting more exercise, eating less sugar, and loading up on fruits and veggies instead—what more could we ask for?
4. This pediatrician’s advice on how to help a shy child survive the classroom. Check it out:
Shyness reflects a child’s place on the temperamental continuum, the part of it that involves dealing with new and unfamiliar circumstances. And starting a new school year may be hard on those who find new situations more difficult and more full of anxiety. What most children need is time to settle in, support from parents and teachers, and sometimes help making connections and participating in class.
5. Last night on Conan, Louis C.K. delivered some of his trademark parenting wisdom, this time about why he won’t let his two daughters get smartphones. Even more than the clip is funny, it’s honest, brilliant, and even a bit heartbreaking. Here’s part of his explanation:
I think these things are toxic, especially for kids…they don’t look at people when they talk to them and they don’t build empathy. You know, kids are mean, and it’s ’cause they’re trying it out. They look at a kid and they go, ‘you’re fat,’ and then they see the kid’s face scrunch up and they go, ‘oh, that doesn’t feel good to make a person do that.’ But they got to start with doing the mean thing. But when they write ‘you’re fat,’ then they just go, ‘mmm, that was fun, I like that.’
Did we miss anything big from this week? Please share your faves in the comments below. And have a great weekend!